Innovation Summer School
Innovation Summer School is an immersive education programme, promoted by Unicorn Factory Lisboa and Startup Lisboa, which aims at supporting the development of creative and problem solving capabilities and entrepreneurial experiences of students.
Innovation Summer School will focus on bringing together 3 components – Students, Educators and Executives – stakeholders with a high potential for impact in developing the next generation of leaders and entrepreneurial talent. For this purpose, we have gathered a very relevant range of partners, with recognized experience in these areas, in order to enhance the development of the talent of the future.
These Rules refer to the 1st edition that will take place in Summer 2023.
The objectives of this initiative are:
- Support the development of students capabilities in problem solving;
- Collaboratively solve real-world problems that inform and support students’ career choices;
- Support the development of the entrepreneurial ecosystem in Portugal by increasing the pool of talent;
- Provide youth with entrepreneurial experiences and mentorship earlier so that they will understand and believe that they have the skills and interest to participate in the entrepreneurial economy;
- Individuals over the age of 14, of any nationality, can apply to this initiative, and who have an interest in innovative solutions to real world problems and entrepreneurship;
- Applications must be submitted using the application form available on the programme’s website page;
- The application period begins April 28th, 2023 and continues until the course capacity is filled;
- The organisation reserves the right to unilaterally and by notice published on the program website, change the deadline for submission of applications;
- The organisation is not responsible for any loss or non-receipt of applications, even if this is the result of network interruptions or failures, or of the Website created for the purpose of sending applications;
- Each individual can only submit one application and must have approval of their parents or caregivers to submit an application;
Assessment of the applications
- Applications shall be subject to a preliminary analysis to check application has been completed in full with no missing information;
- The applications that do not meet the conditions referred to in this article, or whose applications do not have sufficient information will be informed by email that their application has been denied;
- The evaluation is based on the information contained in the application form;
- After the preliminary analysis, an Invoice will be sent to students who have been accepted; to complete the application process the invoice must be paid in full within 10 days or the application may be denied;
- Completed applications are accepted on a first come first serve basis;
- Financial support will be available for individuals who currently are approved to receive support via Serviço de Ação Social Escolar (SASE); Up to 4 individuals (20% of the total) will be able to have their course fees waived;
- The jury reviewing applications will be composed of members of UnicornFactory Lisboa / Startup Lisboa, partner entities and guests;
- The decision of the selection of the individuals will be communicated by e-mail;
- The organisation will make every effort to ensure the selection of 20 individuals for the programme, however, the organisation cannot be held responsible if it is not possible to identify that number of candidates;
- The immersive education programme is defined as a programme to support the introduction to applied entrepreneurship and problem solving, framing problems, developing solutions and presenting solutions to decision making executives;
- The final projects will be presented to executives of the companies that provide the real world challenges;
- The education programme will be conducted predominantly in English;
- The education programme will be conducted in-person and face-to-face participation is mandatory;
- The programme is composed of: workshops, team activities, inspirational talks and a final public presentation of the solutions;
- The programme will include lunch at no additional cost;
- The programme will start on July 17th 2023 to July 28th 2023, Monday to Friday, during working hours.
- Final presentation of the students work – will take place on 28th of July in a mode and time to be indicated in due course;
- The Final Presentation consists of a presentation of each team solution, through a pitch with a maximum duration to be decided in due course. The presentation will be supported by digital means or others that the promoters consider appropriate, and will be made in a face-to-face format.
- The winning project(s) will be selected considering the following criteria:
– Quality of the solution to solve the problem presented
– Feasibility of the idea presented
– Potential impact of the idea
– Potential for growth and/or scalability
- The selection of the winners will be made by a jury that will be composed of members of Unicorn Factory Lisboa / Startup Lisboa, programme partners and guests
General Conditions for Participation
- Programme is responsible for supplying all the information and content to the Participants;
- Participants must always act in a cordial manner and with respect, in particular for the Rules and procedures of operation, programming and security of the organisation and Partners;
- Inappropriate or abusive behaviour, including the use of obscene language, will not be tolerated;
- The organisation reserves the right to exclude any Participant who, during the Initiative, does not respect the Rules set out in this document or who does not participate in the initiatives planned for the Programme.
- There are currently no monetary prizes to be awarded to the winners.
The Parties undertake to keep confidential the content of all information to which they have access under this initiative, including intellectual and industrial property, even after the termination of this initiative, except to the extent strictly necessary for the execution of this initiative and what is strictly necessary for the dissemination and promotion of the Programme.
- The promoters grant the organisation permission to use non-confidential information, in its promotion and marketing activity;
- The organisation of this initiative cannot be held responsible for any intellectual property infringement, misuse or plagiarism by another candidate promoter or by another external member.
- The organisation reserves the right to change the present Rules, informing the individuals who apply/participate in any of the categories and their parents;
- Situations not contemplated in these Rules will be duly analyzed and defined by the organisation
- Participation in the Programme implies the express acceptance of the terms and conditions of this regulation.